“I believe we all die every morning we still stand. I know I have made a sacrifice every time I looked death in the face and escaped, a piece of flesh I left behind to go somewhere I was always meant to live.
But there are parts of us which decay on the way, and eventually… one day you will realize that you were never meant to stay.”
The Ghost still remembers those words, the ones which struck her as wise, but incomprehensible… inaccessible, which really, made them rather foolish in the end.
“Now you can never leave!”
The Ghost never found out what she meant by that. She was gone the next day.
But somehow, she was still everywhere, the branches of a tree braided before her eyes. The wind never called her name, but it did put in motion everything which reminded of a girl never uncovered, the ringing of her last words.
Whenever The Ghost would slip on soap, forget to turn the oven off, go for a swim, cross a bridge, or look down the cliffside, there would be this unsettling sensation, this knowledge that no matter how deep the knife slit, she would never leave.
She got especially mournful when the metal spike pressed against her throat, but skin still never impaled.
Every night from there on out, she would huddle up in a fetus position and run her finger from her chin to her sternum, caress the part of her which should be full of holes. She recognized the lightness her body contained, how empty it had gotten. And bit by bit, the shell of her was replaced by something much more rotten, a shimmer rubbing off.
So now, now that all is gone and everyone has left, she looks up to a sky always full, and she waits, waits for the wind to bring her a leaf, from a faraway tree, the one which chose to stay.
If this is the prelude, then I'm already intrigued - what colour is her hair when she enters the ghost realm of the moonlight?
ReplyDeleteNot much colour exists after dawn, but one is always free to imagine.
Delete